Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Why Murals Should Be Done On Canvas


This is a mural that I painted for Regina Trapp and Tarek Kettanah in Millbrook, NY. I tried to convince her to have it done on canvas applied to the plaster walls, but she declined, and later said it was one of her great regrets. A few years later she divorced Mr. K and sold the house to Liam Neesan and Natasha Richardson. She tried to find some way of taking at least one wall with her, but it was impossible. While the sale was in progress I got several frantic calls from people in the area who heard that Mary Gilliatt was to redecorate the house, and planned to paint the room white. I was gratified that so many people were outraged by that idea. Regina felt horrible about it, and helped try to convince her to have a paper barrier put over the mural before painting, but I honestly have no idea if it was done or not. I heard they took out one door and made it a wall, so it's mangled at least. If it was covered, it will doubtless be forgotten that the mural was there and it will become an archeological find in a few hundred years.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments!