Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Missing Painting "Gifted I" Stolen, Hidden or Forgotten?


This painting is 8 x 10 feet. How could it be missing? Easy, if the circumstances are right. I did this painting in the mid nineties of an Olympic medal winning horse I really admired for his talent and sheer presence . It was exhibited quite widely throughout the US, and shipped from gallery to gallery rolled in a tube. The last gallery that showed it, in Half Moon Bay CA south of San Francisco, asked for an extended "run". When I tried to contact the owner after a couple of months, she had closed up shop and vanished. Unable to hire a detective to try to find her, it took me ten years to track her down.
When I confronted her, the woman claimed that she had "left the painting out for the shippers" to return to me. Since then the shipping company had gone out of business, so there were no records to examine to disprove this claim.
I continue to hope that someone, somewhere, has seen the painting on a wall, and that it is not in a tube hidden somewhere, or moldering in a landfill. A few magazine articles about this produced no leads... but if all my fans and readers help spread the word, maybe we'll solve the mystery.
"Gifted I" in progress, 8 x 10'

3 comments:

  1. It must be very painful to lose such a beautiful piece of work :(( I pray that this painting will find its way back to you asap!!!! You are an awesome artist, keep the faith !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gifted was a lovely, talented horse. We were lucky to have been able to watch him. You have captured his power and grace in this painting. I hope it is found soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you find "Gifted I!"
    http://katgarvie.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/horse-paintings-and-gifted-i-the-missing-painting-by-patricia-powers/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!