Sunday, January 16, 2011

How to Name a Painting While Laughing

Sometimes people ask me where I came up with the odd names for my paintings. Allow me to share with you one of my favorite things: The names given to racehorses in the 1700 and early 1800s. Here's a list I've gleaned from old records. You will find some of my titles therein.
Have At You All, Hydrophobia, Oh Fie, Tantarium, Sulky-Milky-Tawdry, Toothdrawer, I am Not Aware, She’s Not Worth A Name, Birdlime, I’m Sure He Sha’n’t, Run Like A Lamp Post, Jack I’ll Tickle Thee, Rattlecash, Ditto, Willing But Weak, Let’s Stay Awhile Says Slow, Popjoy, Wry Nose, Old Crab, Anything You Like, Billy Go Rarely, Golumpus, Who’d Have Thought It, .303, Who Dare Say Boo, Over Fork Over, Celibacy, Pot-8-os, Waxy, Whalebone, Galopin, Chickeypokey, Sally Go Fastly, Lout, Tatharangtangtang, Looby, Bloody Buttocks, Flatcatcher, Such a Getting Upstairs, Tom Touch Me Not, Radish, N Minus I, Whizgig, Look Not on Ball, Brown Farewell, Dr. Syntax, Skim, Rataplan, Here-I-Go-With-My-Eye-Out, Brainworm, Bedlamite, Lunacy, Bee in a Bonnet, Neckersgat, Lozenge, Young Maniac, Heigh-Ho!, Lottery, Windhound, Isonomy, Kill ‘em and eat ‘em, Dunover, Brisk, Skypeeper, Zut, Drug, I’ll Gang Nae Mair To Yon Town, Miss Whip, Shoestring, Hag, Young Hag, All Round My Hat, Lady Stumps, Old Bald Peg, Can Run But Will Not, Run Now or Hunt Forever, Clumsey, Black and All Black, Awful, Humbug, Cream Cheeks, Old Careless, Chaunter, Rigdum Funnidos, Fidget, Woful, Error, Mop, First Time Of Asking, Lusty Thornton, Limblifter, Creepmouse, Goldfinder, Splitvote, Ambidexter, Ringbone, Cwrw, Small Arms, Straitlace, The Task, Mayonaise, Monstrosity, Puce, I told you So, Slamerkin, The Ill-Used, Fornicator, Oh-megan-ee!, King William's Barb-Without-A-Tongue, Young Gouty, Pipator, Tipple Cyder, Soreheels, Hunt the Slipper, Blank, Grey White Neck, Don’t, Shan’t, Never, Little-Thought-Of, Sister to Old Country Wench, Don’t Use Me ill, Blue-Green, Miss Cheese, Rib, The Little Known, Lady Thigh, Longwaist, Whiteshirt, Look at Me Lads, Dismal, Gnat-Catcher, Slapbang, Thwat, Mol-in-the-Wad, Done on Purpose, Trip-It, Pencil, Rasamagnoddy, Dainty Davy, Dux, I wish You May Get It, Broad Bottom, The Screw, Coughing Polly, Whynot, Have Patience and You’ll See,Trumpator, Sweetest When Naked, Greasy Heel, Dyer's Dimple, Trounc'em, Match'em, Have-At’em, Lady Cow, Migraine, Smirking Nan, Ticklepitcher, Greyleg, Let's-Be-Jogging, Willy Frizzle, Rantaway, Long Megg, Tosspot, Jenny Come Tye Me, Miss-In-Her-Teens, Hoity-Toity, Fungus, Tippetywitchet, All-Fours, Bad-Bargain, Jenny Bare Bones, Bag-ho!, Bumtrap, Caleb Quot’em, Cheesecutter, Chicken Butcheress, Equuleus, Few-such, Grim Woman, Harry-Behind, The Inconsistant, Knee-Buckle, Lad-a-wax, Lemon-Peel, Nancy Grieves Him, Miss Hap, Miss Hot-upon-‘t, Miss Rupture, Monymusk, Nobody, Odd-Fish, Stiff-Dick, Sock, Work-Box, XYZ, Slipby, The Other Eye, Blink Bonny, Shotover, Pennycomequick, Windhound, Piping Peg, Love In Idleness, His Wife’s Fancy, Stand By And Clear The Way, I always Thought It, Remember What I Told You, Kiss Me Quick, Kiss Me Faster, Dart While You’re Young, Despise Me Not, Why Do You Slight Me, Titanokeratophyton, Shiver O, Walmgate bar without, Carry Me Gently, Sally Go Steady, Little Thought On, Well Of All The Infernal Impudence That’s It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!